This one pot recipe is simple to make and yummy to eat. My favorite kind of recipe. I love that this uses the canned pumpkin puree we already have in our pantry and don’t want to make another pumpkin muffin or cookie with. Don’t forget to add the cinnamon and nutmeg spices. At the end, taste and season with more if you like!
For presentation, make sure to top with fresh parsley and I highly recommend the shaved parmesan cheese. I suggest serving with some fresh rolls or bread for dipping in the soup. You can also make a quick grilled cheese sandwich to accompany the soup.
Creamy Pumpkin and Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 lbs sweet Italian sausage
- 3 tbs flour
- 2 cups milk (divided)
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 15 ounces can pumpkin puree
- Optional Garnish: shaved parmesan cheese + fresh parsley
- Remove the casings from your sausage links.
- Whisk together the flour with 1 cup of the milk and set aside.
- In a large pot, heat your oil over medium high and toss in your sausage. Use a wooden spoon to break up the meat until browned – about 5 minutes.
- Add the onion and sauté for 2 minutes (or until translucent). Stir in the garlic, cinnamon and nutmeg and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Melt the butter in your pot and then stir in the reserved flour-milk mixture. Now stir in the remaining one cup of milk, chicken broth and pumpkin puree. Bring to a boil, cover your pot and lower the heat to a simmer. Let it cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Taste and adjust salt and pepper accordingly.
- Optional: Serve with shaved Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley.