I call this the candy soup because it tastes too good to be made with veggies. We fell in love with it thanks to those gooey marshmallows on top. The ideal garnish for soup in my opinion! You cant go wrong with sweet potatoes and marshmallows! You don’t need to make an elaborate holiday side dish to enjoy these flavors. And I love my Dandie’s Vegan Marshmallows so much – no I’m not vegan but these taste better than regular.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
The Best Sweet Potato Soup
- 2½ lbs sweet potatoes, (about 3-4 large)
- 2 tbs olive oil (divided)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs butter
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch ginger, minced
- 1 tsp Italian Herb Blend Seasoning
- 1/2 tsp each paprika, chili pepper flakes
- salt to taste
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable or chicken broth
- 1-2 tbs honey (optional)
- Garnish: mini marshmallows
For the Sweet Potatoes:
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice your sweet potatoes in half lengthwise. Coat the inside of each half with 1 tbs olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste. Turn the pieces around (skin side down) and roast for 30-40 minutes (time varies with size of potatoes). While this is happening start the soup…..
- Add the 2 tbs butter and remaining 1 tbs oil to a large pot to melt on medium heat. Add in the onion and carrots and saute for 5-7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds then stir in the Italian herb blend, paprika, chili flakes and salt to taste. Next add in the broth and bring to a boil. Lower to a simmer and continue to cook COVERED, until the potatoes are ready.
- Once the potatoes are ready, peel the skins off with some tongs and toss into the pot, stirring to incorporate all. For a smooth consistency, transfer the soup to a blender or food processor (work in batches if needed) and puree until smooth.
- Garnish with the mini marshmallows and use a kitchen torch to brown and melt them slightly.