Best Tips for Visiting the Acropolis
A must see in Greece are the stunning ancient ruins of the Acropolis in Athens.
Purchase tickets online for The Acropolis here. Choose Attica and Central Greece and then the Acropolis and Slopes.
There are four structures still standing at the Acropolis: the Parthenon, the Temple of Athena Nike, the Erechtheion and the Propylaia. These structures date back to the 5th century BC.
Here are some tips for making the most of your trip to the iconic Acropolis…
- Purchase your tickets online separately for The Acropolis and the Acropolis Museum. You will avoid waiting on long lines and breeze right through with just a phone scan bar code tap at the entrance. The tickets cost 20 euros per person for the Acropolis and 10 euros each for the museum. These are two separate websites and I will link them here:
- Get there early. If you are in Greece in the summer, be prepared for heat. The structure starts to allow visitors in at 8 am and we arrived at the doors at 7:30 am. The reason being to avoid long lines (which quickly formed behind me) and avoid the high heat temperatures that started around 9 am when we were still up there. Obviously, this can be avoided if you visit the structure in the spring or fall.
- Wear comfortable shoes – there is a shit ton of stairs and walking involved in this adventure. I would even recommend bringing a hat and a water bottle too. You will also need those shoes to walk to the Acropolis Museum. It is about a 15 minute cobble stone walk away from the Acropolis. There is a nice restaurant and gift shops in the museum.
- Shopping at the Monastiraki. If you are into authentic Greek merch, this is the spot for you. Amazing leather goods, jewelry and ceramics, all created by local artists and relatively inexpensive. You will most definitely find many one of kind items in this part of Athens.
- 360° Cocktail Bar is a restaurant with the most breathtaking views of the Acropolis. You want to make reservations in advance and make sure you confirm a table for the outside with a view. This is an epic experience to have in the evening when the sun is setting and the lights of the Acropolis fill the night sky. It is simply unforgettable.