Y’all haven’t lived till you make your own cornbread. It’s like nothing else in the world. So moist and corny good. My favorite part is slathering on the butter and honey. Total side dish or dessert perfection.
The moistness of this bread is second to none. It’s all thanks to that buttermilk so don’t skip it or substitute with regular milk. You can make buttermilk at home anyway with some lemon juice and regular milk. Just google the exact recipe.
Please serve this with butter and honey and don’t look back. This bread will become a staple in your home.
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tbs honey
- 1 egg, room temp.
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temp.
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Line your 8×8” brownie pan with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the first 5 ingredients.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the butter, sugar and honey until smooth. Add in the egg and whisk until combined. Lastly whisk in the buttermilk.
- Add the wet to the dry and mix until just combined. Do not over mix. Transfer batter to pan and bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool at least 10 minutes prior to slicing.