This delicious and hearty potato roll is surprisingly simple to make. Its a series of basic steps that will take you down the path of a unique and yummy dinner – all rolled up in one place. Or serve this at your next party as an appetizer or game day treat.
First Step is simple getting your shredded cheese of choice down on your parchment lined baking sheet. Make sure you use a medium sized baking sheet that measures 17 x 12 inches. The potatoes were washed, peeled, rinsed and sliced on the thin side. You have to be careful not to slice them too thin or too thick with this recipe. I used a hand held mandoline on setting #3.
For the Second Step, you need to chop up the bell peppers, onion and garlic. Get those sauteed for 3-4 minutes in some olive oil and then add in the ground meat. Get it nice and tiny. Add in the sauce and paste to give it some moisture and so it doesn’t dry out.
The best part is the rolling. Make sure you roll it the short way (not the longest way). So the side that 12 inches in length is the side you want to start rolling upwards. Roll it as tight as you can and just be careful not to rip it. You shouldn’t have any problems though. Once its rolled, carefully pick it up and place it on its seam. Top it with a little more cheese and bake for another 7-10 minutes. Mine began to fall apart slightly but I just grabbed two spatulas and pushed the sides together and it all stuck together. Wait 5 minutes and then slice to serve.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe. LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Cheesy Scalloped Potato + Lamb Roll
- 8 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 large potatoes, peeled
- olive oil
- salt, paprika + onion powder
Ground Meat Layer:
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, fine chop
- 1/2 green bell pepper, fine chop
- 1/2 red bell pepper, fine chop
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground lamb (or beef, turkey, chicken)
- 1/2 tsp each paprika, dried oregano
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 tsp tomato paste
- 2 tbs marinara sauce
- 4 oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- garnish: fresh parsley + chili pepper flakes
- Preheat your oven to 400℉. Line a 17" x 12" metal pan with parchment paper. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on the pan to form an even layer, covering the bottom of the pan.
- Slice your potatoes lengthwise thin – about 1/8 inch thick (If they're too thick, they won't roll easily and if they're too thin, they will rip apart when you roll). Layer the potato slices on the sheet pan, overlapping (see photo above). Brush the tops lightly with olive oil, season with salt, paprika + onion powder. Bake this for 20-25 minutes.
Ground Meat Layer:
- In a large pan, heat your olive oil. Add in the onion, peppers and saute on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds. Then add in the meat and use a wooden spoon to break up the meat until no longer pink. If there is excess fat drippings, use a few paper towels to soak up and discard. Next add in the seasonings, tomato paste and marinara. Stir to coat and combine. Cook for a few more minutes and then set aside.
- Once the potato layer is done and cool enough to handle with your hands, begin by sprinkling on a little mozzarella cheese on the potatoes. Then add on the ground beef mixture evenly spread out on the rectangle – be gently not to disassemble the potatoes. Then some more cheese on top of the meat. Start rolling tightly from the short side upwards towards the other short side. Reposition it on the baking sheet so that the seam side is down and tucked under the roll. Sprinkle with some more mozzarella on top and bake for another 7-10 minutes. (If the roll looks likes its falling apart – grab two spatulas and gently press it together on each side of the roll). Wait 5 minutes then slice to serve.