Let’s talk about a dessert that’s fairly easy to make but will have your family, friends and neighbors asking for second pieces. This reminds me of my childhood when my mom would make baklava for the holidays. This take on baklava is amazing and the crinkle process creates a really fluffy soft interior.
I like to prep everything else before I start with the phyllo sheets because once you open the box, they can get dry quickly. That’s why you need to keep them covered with a large clean cotton dish towel. Take one out at a time as you work with it.
You can use walnuts or almonds for the filling. For the syrup, make sure you it is cooled prior to add it to the pastry. Conversely, you can also make the cake, let it cool and then pour hot syrup onto it. But NEVER add hot syrup to a hot cake.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this recipe or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the dish. LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Crinkle Baklava Cake Recipe
Garnish with 2 tbs crushed Pistachios
- Preheat your oven to 350℉. Grease or spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with butter.
- In a medium pot, add the sugar, water, lemon peel and cinnamon stick. Bring to an almost boil, then lower to a simmer and cook your syrup for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in the honey. Now let the syrup cool.
- In a small food processor or by hand, chop your walnuts into small crumbs. Mix them with the sugar and cinnamon.
- On a large clean surface, open your phyllo package and lay out the sheets flat, covered by a clean cotton towel (if you don't cover the stack, the phyllo will get dry). Take one sheet at a time and brush it with the melted butter, then sprinkle on small amount of the walnut filling here and there – about 1-2 tbs per sheet. Use your fingers to crinkle the sheet like an accordion. Transfer the sheet to your baking dish. Repeat this step for all the phyllo sheets until your baking dish is full – packing them in as you go. Take the remaining butter and brush the top of the pie. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Whisk together the eggs, milk, sugar and cinnamon. EVENLY pour it over the baklava and place bake in the oven for another 25-35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Once you remove the baklava from the oven, pour the cooled syrup over the hot baklava. Then sprinkle on the pistachios immediately. Allow the syrup at least an hour to soak in prior to serving.