Growing up in a Greek household, pies or pites, were a big part of my kitchen. I’m holding on to the pie part but making it simpler here without the traditional phyllo. You can use any type of mushrooms you prefer.
If you like this recipe, you will love my Spinach + Feta Brownies or my Broccoli + Feta Bars. Make these Dairy Free by using any milk of your choosing. Make them Gluten Free with any flour of your choosing. Add in vegan cheeses and flax eggs to make this dish vegan!
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this recipe, please take the time to comment and rate the dish. LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Mushroom Broccoli Brownies
- 2 tbs olive oil, divided
- 24 oz large white mushrooms, sliced
- 3 small heads broccoli, stemmed + chopped small
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1¼ cups flour of choice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp each garlic powder + Italian dried herb blend
- salt and pepper to taste
- 4 oz shredded Gruyere cheese
- 2 oz shredded parmesan cheese
- 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ Line a 11×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
- In a large pan heat 1 tbs olive oil and saute your mushrooms for about 2 minutes per side or until browned, season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove from the pan and add in the remaining 1 tbs olive oil and saute your shallot for 1 minute then add in the broccoli pieces and saute for another 3-4 minutes – season with salt and pepper to taste. Remove promptly to a plate.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, oil and milk. Sift in the flour, baking powder and seasonings and mix to combine the batter. Next fold in the cheeses, broccoli, shallot and mushrooms until incorporated. Transfer the batter to your baking dish and flatten out evenly. Sprinkle on the 2 tbs grated parmesan and bake for 30 minutes. Then bump up the temp to 375℉ and bake for another 10-15 minutes. Allow to set for 15 minutes in the pan and then slice to serve.