Early on, I will clue you in on the secret to this recipe: it’s the cottage cheese. It lends a fluffy yet dense texture to each slice of heaven. I use 4% fat cottage cheese. One portion is a slice of the pie, but your guests will undoubtedly ask for seconds, so plan accordingly.
You want to make sure to par cook any vegetables that you add in until JUST tender (not mushy). My bell pepper and scallions were sautéed for a minute or two prior to adding them to the batter. If you’re adding mushrooms, asparagus, bacon or anything that needs to be tender to the bite, you want to do this before the bake. It’s a quick step that makes all the difference in releasing the flavors in your dish. The roughly chopped baby spinach does not need to be sautéed prior to baking.
In my opinion, the cheese is a necessary add in. I typically add in some shredded cheese like mozzarella or cheddar. I also make this often with some crumbled feta cheese. All are amazing options. Use what you have and what you like.
The cook time/bake time is subjective with regards to electric or gas ovens. I like my eggs well done with those crispy brown edges, so I took the full 50 minutes in an electric oven. Just make sure the egg bake is firm and has at least been baking for 40-45 minutes.
Sausage and Cheese Egg Bake
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 3 cups baby spinach, rough chop
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Optional Topping: Sriracha sauce
- Spray both sides of your sausage with olive oil. Cook you sausage in an air fryer for twenty minutes on 400° F, flipping mid way through. You can also cook them in a pan. When their done, chop them up into bite size pieces.
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with olive oil.
- Sauté your chopped bell pepper for a minute or two in a pan heated with olive oil. Add the scallions and stir for 1 minute. Remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat your eggs for a minute or two. Mix in the cottage cheese and then fold in the the bell pepper- onion mixture, the chopped spinach and cheese. Season with salt and pepper to your preference. Transfer this mixture to your prepped baking dish and bake for 45-50 minutes. Allow to cool 15 minutes prior to slicing.