This is my spin on traditional spanakorizo. The more classic version includes a bit more olive oil and tomato paste. I decreased the oil, left out the tomato paste and added in some creamy feta cheese. My mom approves, so we are good to go here!
This recipe is similar to a risotto style dish however you do not have to use arborio rice. Feel free to use any short or medium grain rice. This dish is a classic mediterranean healthy meal that all Greeks grow up on. It’s gluten free and uses fresh whole ingredients.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you make this recipe or any other on the site, we would greatly appreciate you commenting and rating the dish! Love Your Life!
Spanakorizo (Greek Spinach Rice)
- In a deep skillet, heat your oil on medium. Add the onion and scallions and cook on medium low until translucent – 4 minutes. Add garlic and stir until fragrant.
- Add the rice to the pan and cook for 2 minutes constantly stirring. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next, mix in 1/2 cup broth. Allow it to be absorbed by the rice and repeat this step until rice is cooked al dente.
- Stir in the fresh dill. Add the spinach to the pan and cover with the lid. Let the spinach wilt for 2-3 minutes. Uncover and fold them into the rice.
- Top with your crumbled feta and cover to melt for a few minutes. Serve immediately with lemon wedges, more dill, drizzle of oil and black pepper.