Another one of mom’s and grandma’s recipes that we hated as children and now love as adults. The onions and herby flavors make this dish stand out from the rest. I added some feta cheese to it at the end to make it creamier and yummier, whereas traditionally it is served on the side of the rice dish. You can make it either way and it will still be creamy from the olive oil and tomato paste.
I used savoy cabbage which has more of a wrinkly appearance. You can use red or green cabbage with this recipe too, they are totally interchangeable. Slice your cabbage into 1/2 inch thick strips. When your cooking it in the pot, make sure you cook it down and it becomes half way tender prior to introducing the rice to the pot.
I used Trader Joe’s calrose rice, which is a medium grain white rice. Any medium grain rice will work though. Don’t forget to season your dish as you go along. Taste and adjust as necessary keeping in mind that the salty feta cheese will be added at the end.
Greek Cabbage Rice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 5 scallions, diced
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 bunch fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes (optional)
- 1/2 large savoy cabbage, sliced 1/2" thin
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup medium grain rice, rinsed
- 2 cups water
- 4 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- In a large pot, heat up your olive oil and then sauté the onions, scallions and garlic until translucent, 3 minutes. Mix in the herbs for 30 seconds. Add in the tomato paste and chili pepper flakes and toss all to coat.
- Transfer your cabbage to the pot, season with salt and pepper to taste and pour in the broth. Carefully mix everything together. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer and cover the pot. Cook this for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally or until cabbage is almost tender.
- Next, add in the rice and 2 cups water and mix to combine. Bring to a boil, lower heat to simmer and cover pot again. Cook until rice is done, stirring occasionally – should take about 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the crumbled feta. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.