THIS is the one soup that got the most rave reviews from my family this fall. I’ve made many so far for the site, and this one delivered on EVERYTHING. The chicken, mushrooms, veggies and WILD rice are all the perfect additions to the half milk, half heavy cream and grated parmesan cheesy chicken broth backdrop.
I am a huge fan of cutting up my protein into small pieces. The seasonings, oil and butter reach a larger surface area of the meat. Trust me, it tastes so much better. Please please season with your soul, DON’T BE SHY. Why WILD RICE? It actually has many more nutritional benefits as compared to brown rice AND its got less calories. In my opinion, it also possesses a better taste as well. Definitely give it a try, you won’t regret it. Serve this soup with some crusty bread for the ultimate cozy meal.
If you love this recipe, you love some of my other ones:
- Easy Creamy Mushroom Soup
- Easy Meatball Mushroom Soup
- One Pot Creamy Mushroom Rice
- Mushroom Cauliflower ‘Risotto’
- Easy Parmesan Mushrooms
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this recipe or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the dish! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Parmesan Mushroom Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 6 chicken thighs (boneless + skinless), diced
- garlic powder, onion powder, paprika to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 10 oz mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbs butter, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, fine chop
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 6 cups low sodium chicken broth (may need more)
- 1 cup wild rice blend (or any medium grain rice)
- 1 cup half and half
- 3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Season your sliced chicken generously with salt, paprika, onion and garlic powders. Toss around to coat. Heat your oil on medium high in a large pot and cook your chicken for 3-4 minutes. Remove the pieces from the pot.
- Heat 1/2 tbs butter in your pot and sauté the mushroom slices until tender, 5 minutes. Add in the remaining 1/2 tbs butter and then your onion, carrots and celery and cook for another 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and thyme and cook for 30 seconds.
- Add in the broth, rice, chicken and season with salt and pepper to taste. Simmer, covered for 25-30 minutes (or until rice is done). You may need more broth if it is absorbed.
- Lastly, stir in the half and half and parmesan cheese for a few minutes, until smooth. Taste and add in more salt and pepper if needed.