I make this hamburger helper style chopped meat recipe all the time for my kid’s tacos because it’s quick and hella delicious. However, this low carb and keto friendly portobello mushroom cap version is so much lighter and gluten free! The meat is seasoned to perfection with the usual taco spices. The toppings consisting of melted cheddar cheese, seasoned tomatoes and avocados, hit all the right spots. Don’t forget the fresh cilantro garnish on top (like I did) – it still tasted great!
Easy Beef Taco Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Stuffed Portobello Caps:
- 4 portobello caps
- 3 tbs olive oil
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 tbs fresh cilantro, chopped
- In a large skillet, over medium high heat, cook your onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Next add the ground beef, and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat until its totally browned, then drain the fat from the pan.
- Add the spices to the meat and stir to combine. Add 1/4 cup hot water and stir. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle the portobello caps with the olive oil and season both sides with salt and pepper to taste. Heat a grill pan on high and cook the caps 5-6 minutes per side or until fork tender (some caps are thicker than others).
- Evenly divide the beef taco mixture between the caps and top with the cheddar. Cover with a lid until the cheese melts. Serve with salted tomato and avocado and garnish with chopped fresh cilantro.