Growing up in a super Greek household, spinach pie was a staple in our monthly treat roundup. My yiayia and mom made it quite often for their hubbies and the rest of us got some scraps too lol. However, they didn’t make it with all the butter and phyllo like most do today. My grandmother and mom were professionals at making it from scratch. THERE IS NOTHING LIKE HOMEMADE, FROM SCRATCH, SPANAKOPITA. Since we all don’t have that kind of time, and we are trying to keep things gluten free and low carb, I like to keep the flavor but incorporate a different vessel in which to hold house them in.
PRO TIP on these, make sure your mushrooms aren’t too small because then they wont hold any filling. You can do this recipe with mushroom caps but those take a wee bit longer to bake and the smaller ones are just cuter and funner to pop in your mouth. The portobello caps is more of a entree or side dish. These are perfect for appetizers!
If this recipe is up your alley, I HAVE MORE JUST LIKE IT…
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our page, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe!! LOVE YOUR LIFE <3
Spinach and Feta Stuffed Mushrooms
- 16 oz baby bella mushrooms
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups packed chopped baby spinach
- 3 tbs dill, chopped
- 4 oz cream cheese, room temp.
- 1/2 block feta cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (or air fryer to 400° F). Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with olive oil.
- Wipe your mushroom caps clean o peel their outer skin cap. Remove their stem and gently scoop out some of the inside to make way for the filling.
- In a large pan, heat your olive oil and sauté your onion and garlic for 1-2 minutes. Add in the spinach and turn until mostly wilted. Remove and transfer to a large bowl. To the bowl, also add in the dill, cream cheese, feta, salt and pepper to taste. Mix until creamy and incorporated. Fill each mushroom just to the rim and then top with mozzarella. Bake for 20 minutes.