It’s time to make a savory breakfast muffin that is absolutely ideal with these two soulmates: zucchini and cheese. This is my Yiayia’s tiganites recipe that I transferred into a muffin pan and baked (instead of fried in oil). She was THE BEST cook was beyond loving to me .. an absolute second mother! I was so blessed to have her in my life for so many years.
Your medium zucchini needs to grate down to 2 cups zucchini shreds for these muffins. You don’t need to drain your zucchini shreds of their liquids, they are necessary to be included in the recipe.
You don’t have to use all purpose flour in this muffin. Gluten free flour and oat flour both work as substitutes. Your preferred milk of choice can be used. I have made these with both olive oil and melted butter and they are both delicious alternatives.
This recipe yields about 23 muffins; plenty to horde, share or freeze for later usage.
Feta and Zucchini Muffins
- Preheat your oven to 375° F. Line or spray your muffin trays.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar.
- In a medium bowl, lightly beat your eggs. Then whisk in the milk and oil. Pour this mixture into the dry bowl and mix until JUST combined. Fold in the zucchini shreds, feta and mozzarella and chives.
- Bake for 22-25 minutes or until golden and toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool. Serves great with soup or eggs.
- THERE IS NO NEED TO SQUEEZE THE LIQUID FROM THE ZUCCHINI – WE NEED IT IN THIS RECIPE!
2 tsp Baking Powder
1 ½ tsp Salt
3 eggs Melted butter can be subbed for the olive oil, which gives them a more biscuity vibe.