This recipe really hit home for me. I grew up on Greek food and then when I got my license, went hard for the fast food runs to McDonald’s, KFC, Taco Bell and Burger King. This popcorn chicken recipe is super flavorful and juicy. I highly recommend doubling the batch!
The secret to this recipe is the seasonings and the baking powder. The combination of spices and herbs really set this apart. Don’t worry if you’re missing a spice on the list, still make them – they will be incredible!
I enjoy meal prepping this for the week. We eat them as a snack straight out of the fridge, cold and LOVE THEM! The dip I used was a combination of ketchup and a little Sriracha mixed in.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Healthy KFC Popcorn Chicken
- 1.7 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1½ tsp Italian herb seasoning
- 1/2 tsp mustard powder
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/4 tsp ginger powder
- 1½ tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Optional Dip: Ketchup + Sriracha
- Preheat your air fryer to 400℉. or preheat your oven to 400℉
- Rinse and pat dry your chicken breasts. Slice each piece into 3 vertical strips and then slice those into small chunks. Season with salt.
- House your beaten egg whites in a medium bowl. Add the chicken to the bowl and toss to coat.
- In a large shallow plate, whisk together the flour, baking powder and all of the seasonings listed.
- Working in small batches. Add some chicken to the flour plate and toss to coat well. Transfer to your air fryer basket without any pieces touching each other. Spray with olive oil and cook for 9-10 minutes. In the oven bake for 15-17 minutes or until cooked through, flipping half way through.