We could not believe how delicious this soup turned out. We just kept saying wow to each other. The overall soup is simple and we are getting in the healthy broccoli and pairing it with some yummy tortellini. Can’t miss with this combination.
For the broccoli make sure you are using all of the broccoli -stems chopped up and everything. All bite sized pieces. I used four cheese tortellini from Costco that we love. For the broth, I recommend chicken broth or vegetable broth here. Just make sure you garnish with olive oil and chili flakes. A squeeze of lemon is also great here too!
If you like this soup you will LOVE:
- Broccoli Feta Soup
- One Pot Veggie Tortellini Soup
- Tomato Feta Soup
- Best Creamy Tortellini Soup
- Tortellini Ala Vodka Bake
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this recipe or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the dish! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Italian Broccoli + Chicken Tortellini Soup
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ lbs broccoli, cut into florets
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 tsp Italian herb seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb cheese tortellini
- 2 cups chicken breast, cooked + chopped
- 2 oz grated parmesan cheese
- Garnish: drizzle olive oil, chili flakes, lemon
- In one pot, heat the olive oil on medium high. Add in the onion and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds. Stir in broccoli and then add in the broth and water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to a simmer, cover and cook for 20 minutes.
- Gently smash the broccoli so that there still are some chunks left. Add in the tortellini and cooked chicken and cook until al dente (check pasta package instructions for time). Lastly remove from heat and stir in the parmesan.
- Serve with more parmesan, olive oil drizzle and chili flakes (and lemon).