When you’re in the mood for some good ole fashion Italian comfort food but not the 20 step laborious process of making lasagna. This is quick, easy to put together and so yummy!! I’ve personally been making this one for years and kids ask for it by name.
You musn’t skip the ricotta cheese topping, it really sends this soup over the top and makes it spoon lickin’ good. I add sugar to most of my tomato sauce recipes to stomp out the bitterness. You can omit it if you like. Or just taste your sauce as your cooking and adjust accordingly.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 28 oz crushed tomato can
- 2 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 2-3 tbs sugar (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 9 lasagna noodles, cracked into medium pieces
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
Ricotta Scoop Topping:
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/3 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3 tbs fresh basil, chopped
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium high. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the sausage and using a wooden spoon, break up the meat until no longer pink – about 5 minutes. Drain the fat from the pot as desired.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, seasonings, salt & pepper to taste and sugar, stir to combine. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to simmer and cook for 10 minutes, POT COVERED. Taste the soup and adjust the salt or any seasonings necessary.
- Next, add the lasagna pieces into the pot, stir and cover. Cook another 10 minutes or until pasta is cooked al dente. Once the pasta is cooked, stir in the heavy cream.
- In a medium bowl, combine the ricotta, mozzarella, parmesan, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Serve soup with a scoop of this mixture and chili pepper flakes.