Base recipe adapted from the amazing Gimme Some Oven Super easy to make in just 20 minutes and the cheesy gooey taste just sends me.
Also, the ingredient list on this recipe is beyond miniscule.
These photos absolutely remind me of my childhood when we used to have the boxed Velveeta. What a processed food treat! Those days are long gone and thank goodness for learning how to cook some pasta the proper way.
Please do not skip the toasted breadcrumbs – they really makes the dish even more authentic to the traditional baked mac and cheese. The crunch and taste are everything!
One Pot Stove Top Mac and Cheese
- 2 tbs butter
- 2 tbs flour
- 3 cups water
- 4 cups whole milk
- 1 lb pasta, uncooked
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground mustard
- 1 tsp salt
- 15 oz. sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- salt to taste
- In a large pot, melt your butter on medium high heat. Add the flour and whisk until combined – about 1 minute. Next pour in 1 cup water while whisking and stir until it thickens. Alternate the milk and water, a cup at a time, while whisking to keep the mixture thick.
- Now pour in the pasta, garlic powder, ground mustard and salt. Once it starts boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and cook until pasta is al dente, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the pot from the burner and mix in the cheeses until smooth and melted.
For the Toasted Breadcrumbs:
- Add all the ingredients to a small pan (in the order they appear) and mix. Heat on medium until they turn golden brown, stirring constantly. Watch them – they can burn quickly!