These puff pastry swirls are so simple to make and beyond perfect to serve at your next get together or for the upcoming holidays. Literally they come together in no time and they always leave my guests speechless.
You can choose to saute your baby spinach and scallions or skip the step and just use frozen spinach. Make sure to defrost it and ring out any liquids. Add that to your cheeses, scallions and dill in a bowl and mix to incorporate. Once your puff pastry is rolled out a bit on the edges simply brush it entirely with the egg wash.
Sprinkle on the spinach and cheese mixture evenly all the way to the edges of the sheet and roll up as you would cinnamon rolls. Use a knife or pastry slicer to cut the roll up. Transfer each piece to your baking sheet and brush the outer edges of each roll with the remaining egg wash. Bake until golden and enjoy!
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our website, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Spanakopita Puff Pastry Swirls
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 8 oz baby spinach, rough chop
- 2 scallions, chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 7 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 3/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbs dill, chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 puff pastry sheet, defrosted
- 1 egg + 1 tbs water, lightly beaten
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a skillet, heat your olive oil on medium and saute your scallions for 1 minute. Add in the baby spinach and season wtih salt and pepper to taste. Once mostly wilted remove and transfer to plate to drain and pat dry to remove the liquids.
- In a large bowl, mix your spinach mixture with the feta, mozzarella, dill and garlic powder.
- Sprinkle some flour on a clean flat surface. Roll out the puff pastry a little to flatten the edges. Brush the entire surface with the egg mixture. Sprinkle the entire surface evenly with your spinach-cheese mixture. Start rolling up one short side of the rectangle like you would for cinnamon rolls. Slice the dough into 1 inch rolls and transfer to your baking sheet. Brush the roll's puff pastry sides with the remaining egg wash and bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.