If you have some leftover rice or leftover shrimp/salmon, you might wanna make this easy and yummy lunch (or dinner). You can also make the rice and shrimp, like I did, and enjoy yourself a delicious meal. This is also perfect for meal prepping. You make the salmon or shrimp and rice on Sunday and are hooked up for the week.
This is a completely customizable dish. You can add in whatever you like and have. I did not have kimchi, which is something that would definitely work well here, if you do have it, add it in.
I also pickled my cucumber with some rice vinegar, salt and sugar for some extra tang. The longer you leave the thinly sliced cucumber soaking, the more flavorful it tastes. I had some nori paper and sliced that up to do the sushi thing but to be honest, abandoned that ship and just ate it straight up with a fork.
Now to the sauces. I highly recommend the Kewpie Mayo with this one, but regular mayonnaise works of course. The Sriracha hot sauce and low sodium soy sauce is a must as well. Mix it all together with your scallions to create a simple sushi masterpiece.
Tik Tok Shrimp Rice Bowl
- 2 cups sushi rice, cooked
- 2/3 lb shrimp, peeled + deveined
Japanese Cucumber Salad:
- 1 large cucumber, sliced thin
- 2 tbs rice vinegar*
- 1 tbs sesame oil**
- 1 tbs sugar
- salt to taste
- 2 tbs sesame seeds
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 scallions, chopped
- low sodium soy sauce, to taste
- Sriracha, to taste
- kewpie mayo, to taste
- Nori paper, cut into squares
- Place your shrimp in a pot with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook the shrimp for about 2 minutes. Remove them from the pot and transfer them immediately to a bowl filled with cold water and ice. Wait 5 minutes and then chop them up.
- In a medium bowl, toss the cucumber, vinegar, oil, sugar and salt.
- Toast your sesame seeds in a small pan on medium low heat tossing constantly. Don't walk away, they burn easily. Mix them into the salad.
- Place the cooked shrimp in a dish and spread it out flat. Spread out the chopped shrimp on top. Drizzle with soy sauce, Sriracha and kewpie mayo as desired. Add the scallions and mix everything with a fork to combine. Add on your avocado and salad and scoop up the goods with the nori paper squares and eat like sushi.