I originally created this video for TikTok on April 9, 2021 and it had a ton of views. I recreated it again recently for updated pics for the new site. Plus my kids had been begging me to make it again. I definitely recommend going with the egg noodles to accompany this. You can, of course, make any base starch you prefer, like Mashed Potatoes, rice or french fries.
I definitely recommend using a cast iron pan, if possible. It changes the flavor and cooking experience. Make sure you season the steak well with salt and pepper. Most important is not to over cook the steak strips. Make certain to include all their juices when mixing them in with the sauce at the end.
The sauce is a combination of sweet onions, hearty white mushrooms, reduced sodium beef broth (let’s throw in something a little healthier), Worcestershire sauce, Dijon mustard and of course, the creamy element, our friend, the sour cream. These all come together and provide you with a velvety delicious gravy of sauces.
This dish can also be made with chicken if you are adverse to meat. Or ground beef. Make sure you mix those noodles into the sauce!
- Boil your egg noodles according to package instructions.
- Tenderize your beef with a mallet and then trim any excess fat. Slice into thin strips and then season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Heat 1 tbs of oil in a large pan on high. When it gets hot, add the half of the strips and spread out. Quickly cook for 30 seconds per side. Remove from the pan and heat the remaining tablespoon of oil and repeat process with the seconds batch of strips.
- To the now empty pan, lower the heat to medium and add the butter. Add the onions and sauté until translucent (2 minutes). Next add in the mushrooms and cook until softened.
- Stir in the flour for 1 minute. Then, stir in 1 cup of the beef broth until incorporated. Then stir in the remaining cup along with the Worcestershire, Dijon and sour cream. Keep stirring until sauce is smooth and starts to thicken, about 4 minutes. Taste and season with salt and pepper to your preference.
- Lastly, toss in the steak strips and their juices and give it a good mix to coat all. Serve with your egg noodles, top with lots of sauce and some fresh chopped parsley.