It’s soup season and this one is extra cozy because of the heat/spicyness. It’s got extra protein from the chicken and beans and that creamy texture we love. Truly seasoned to perfection for that Mexican vibe.
You can pan fry the chicken in a little oil, but I highly recommend the bake. It creates a very juicy piece of meat. You can shred the chicken but I prefer cutting into small bite size cubes for a meatier feel.
The beans are also a key player here. Use what you like and what you have in your pantry. You can use chopped fresh tomatoes or a 15 ounce can of diced tomatoes.
Lastly, the toppings. Oh my, I have to say they are the cherry on the sundae. I highly recommend the avocado, cheese and tortilla chips. INCREDIBLE combination.
- 1.5 lbs chicken breasts
- salt to taste
- chipotle seasoning to taste
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeño, fine chop
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp chipotle powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 plum tomatoes, chopped
- 3 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1⅓ cups milk
- 1/3 cup corn flour
- 15 oz black beans, drained + rinsed
- 15 oz pinto beans, drained + rinsed
- 1 cup corn
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- shredded cheese
- tortilla strips or tortilla chips
- fresh cilantro
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Pour the chicken broth in a small baking dish.
- Season your chicken on both sides with salt and chipotle powder. Transfer them to the baking dish and cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 40 minutes or until done (internal temp should be 165°F). When chicken is done, let it rest for 5 minutes and then chop it into small pieces. Reserve all the liquids from the baking dish for the soup.
- In a pot, heat your olive oil on medium high. Add the onion and jalapeño and sauté until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds and season with chipotle, paprika, cumin and salt to taste. Toss in the tomatoes, (and their juices) the 3 cups chicken broth and the reserved liquids from the baking dish.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and corn flour. Add that mixture into the pot along with the cubed chicken. Bring to a simmer and cook the soup for about 10-12 minutes or until it starts to thicken.
- Add in the beans, corn and heat through for 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the sour cream and heavy cream until smooth. Taste and adjust salt and pepper to preference.