This one step of adding coconut milk will supremely upgrade your plain and boring rice side dish. Make sure you use canned coconut milk and that it is full fat. Also a must is not to disturb the cooking process with stirring or uncovering the pan to see what is going on. When the 15 minutes are up, you simply pull the pan off the burner and let it rest again, undisturbed for another 10 minutes to steam. This will complete the cooking process perfectly.
I like to top this dish with some toasted coconut flakes or shreds. You simply toss some in a small pan on LOW heat and constantly stir and toss until they mostly turn golden brown. Remove promptly and top your rice. Another optional garnish is some fresh cilantro. Also fresh lime juice works here too.
Easy Coconut Rice
- 2 cups jasmine rice
- 13.5 oz can full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Rinse rice until water runs clear. Soak the rice in water for 15 minutes.
- Add your rice, coconut milk, water, sugar and salt to a medium pot or deep pan. Give it one turn and bring the mixture to a rolling boil (not just the edges, the entire pan should be popping). Cover the pan and lower the heat to a simmer. Cook untouched for 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the burner and let it rest, untouched and covered, for 10 minutes.
- Uncover, fluff the rice and serve.