Easy Pickled Red Cabbage
I love this bright pink crunchy stuff. It makes me happy to eat the rainbow and have it taste great! It lasts for at least 3 weeks in your fridge and you don’t have to worry about having anything on hand when you need it.
The process if very quick and simple. Make sure you heat up the vinegar and water with the sugar and salt to dissolve them. Let that cool off just a wee bit before you introduce it to the cabbage. Add the sliced garlic and pepper corns and shake it. Make sure you take off the lid to let it cool down for about 1-2 hours before covering it up and placing it in the fridge.
You can also try my Pickled Red Onions which are also perfect on salads, on tacos or sandwiches! Standard in my refrigerator at all times or else I get moody!!
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this recipe, we would greatly appreciate you leaving a rating and comment! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Pickled Red Cabbage
- 2 cups red cabbage, shredded
- 1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 heaping tbs sugar
- 1 clove garlic, sliced
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black peppercorns
- Shred your cabbage thin with a knife or mandolin. Add to a sealable glass jar.
- In a small pot, heat your vinegar, water, sugar and salt until almost about to boil. Remove from heat and let it cool slightly. Pour it over the cabbage, add in the garlic and pepper corns, seal the lid and shake around to distribute. Open the lid and let it cool off completely (about an hour) and then refrigerate. I like to do this the night before to really see that bright pink color.
LOVE this recipe! Would it work with white cabbage as well?
Your content is awesome and I love so many of your recipes. Thank you for sharing.
Hi Elana, I haven’t tried with white, but yes, it should bring about the same results! Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your feedback!!
How long would this keep for in the fridge?