Grilled Eggplant Sandwich with Creamy Lemon Parmesan Spread
A total winner of a sandwich with just the right ingredients and sauce to complete it.
So the beauty of this is that you can create it on your grill, cook top or your oven. It’s such a simple recipe but will deliver to you a wealth of flavor and happiness. The eggplant is definitely hearty and delicious once seasoned well. The arugula adds that yummy and peppery taste to the sandwich.
I am all about this sauce though. It’s a beautiful combination of cheesy, lemon creaminess. This meal comes together in 20 minutes and will leave you dreaming about the next time you will have it.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you decide to make this recipe or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the dish! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 large lemon, zested + juiced
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large eggplant, sliced lengthwise into thick pieces
- 3 tbs olive oil (divided
- salt, onion powder + dried oregano
- 1 loaf Italian bread
- 3 oz baby arugula
- 8 oz fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 1 large tomato, sliced
- 10 leaves basil
- In a small bowl, whisk together the ingredients until smooth. Taste and adjust if necessary.
- Heat 2 tbs olive oil in a large skillet. Brush the pan all over. Working in batches if necessary, fill the pan with the eggplant. Season the top sides and drizzle with some more oil. After about 5-6 minutes, flip them and season again only. Once both sides are golden brown, remove and assemble the sandwich.
- Sauce goes on both sides of the bread. Baby arugula is the bed and then its 2 slices eggplant, tomato, mozzarella and then basil.
Made this today for our Italian football game day Sunday lunch. It was perfect! We had some good quality mortadella on hand so threw in a few slices. Your food makes me happy.
Hi Farah! This is perfect for game day Sunday – great call on the mortadella, I will definitely try it next time I make it! PS your comment made me happy!