I was on the fence about what to name these gorgeous eggplant slices. It’s quite similar to a pizza with no sauce, like a margarita pizza, with slices of tomatoes instead. I used regular mozzarella but fresh would be amazing here too.
I actually made these with the breadcrumbs, but almond flour can be subbed in to keep them gluten free. You can even use grated parmesan instead of the almond flour too.
The other beauty of this dish is that you can grill them on the barbecue too, 5-6 minutes per side (or until fork tender). While that’s happening, whip up the topping. Which is the best part.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you decide to make this recipe or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the dish! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Low Carb Eggplant Bruschetta
- 3 medium eggplants, slice in half lengthwise
- 3 tbs olive oil (divided)
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian blend seasonings (divided)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 oz cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 7 oz mozzarella, small cubes
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs or almond flour
- 2 tbs grated parmesan cheese
- Optional: chopped fresh basil
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl, mix together the 2 tbs olive oil, garlic, Italian herbs, salt and pepper to taste. Brush the mixture all over the flesh side of the eggplant halves. Bake or air fry until fork tender around 17 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and cut two vertical slits into the flesh.
- In a medium bowl, combine the tomatoes, mozzarella cubes, almond flour (or breadcrumbs), 1 tbs olive oil, 1/2 tsp Italian blend seasoning, salt and pepper to taste. Once the eggplants are cooked, top them with this mixture evenly. Sprinkle each with grated parmesan cheese and place back in the oven until melted.