If you love eggplant as much as I do, you will become obsessed with these little nuggets of veggie love. Its got that crunchy shell and inside that cheesy center. It is like nothing else you will try. If you can’t get your hands on some Greek Kasseri cheese, that’s okay; just use cubed mozzarella or gouda.
If you like this recipe you will love my:
- Low Carb Eggplant Bruschetta
- Easy Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna
- Greek Eggplant Dip
- Low Carb Eggplant Rolls w Mozzarella + Proscuitto
- Baked Crispy Eggplant Fries
- Grilled Eggplant Sandwich
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Greek Eggplant Meatballs (Melitzanokeftedes)
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large eggplant, peeled + diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1¼ cup breadcrumbs (divided)
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
- chili pepper flakes, to taste
- 1/2 cup Kasseri cheese, cubed, (or mozzarella or gouda)
- In a large deep skillet, heat your oil. Add in your onion and saute for 2 minutes. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds. Add in your eggplant and toss to coat. If the mixture is too dry, add in another tablespoon of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Cook to soften for about 5 minutes. Remove from pan to a paper towel lined platter to cool slightly and drain any excess oil.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggplant mixture, 1 CUP breadcrumbs, eggs, parmesan, parsley, chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste. Form your medium sized balls and then an indent int the center to insert two small cubes of Kaseri cheese. Bring the mixture around the cheese to cover and close off the cheese.
- Roll the balls in 1/4 cup breadcrumbs to give them that crunchy exterior. Wipe down the pan you used before and heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Working in two batches, add half the balls and cook for 4 minutes per side until golden brown and crispy.