We could not get over how delicious and simple this soup was to make. No one in my family knew I had snuck in so many veggies and the lentils into this creamy creation. The ginger, garlic, apple and honey really set this one apart from the rest.
If you want to keep this dairy free, make sure you use olive oil instead of butter. To keep this Vegetarian, make sure you use olive oil and vegetable broth. If you don’t have sweet potatoes, you can sub in regular potatoes.
There is no cream in this creamy carrot soup. Make sure you use your hand immersion blender or you can transfer the soup in batches, to your food processor or blender to process. Just be careful that it has cooled slightly and the blender container has an opening to breathe out of since its so hot.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to leave a comment and rating on the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Creamy Carrot Lentil Soup
- 4 tbs butter or olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 tbs ginger paste (or fresh grated)
- 1 lb carrots, peeled + diced
- 1½ lbs sweet potatoes, peeled + diced
- 1 cup red lentils, rinsed
- 8 cups low sodium chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- salt to taste
- 1 apple (Fuji or Honey crisp)
- 2 tbs honey (or maple syrup)
Optional Garnishes: paprika, cayenne pepper, honey drizzle + chopped fresh parsley
- In one pot, melt your butter (or heat your olive oil) on medium. Add in the onions and saute until transluscent – about 4 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger for 30 seconds. Add in the carrots, sweet potatoes and toss all to coat. Add in the lentils, broth and salt to taste and raise heat to bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower the heat to a simmer and cover the pot for 20-25 minutes (until the potatoes are fork tender). Add in the apple and honey and proceed to use a hand emersion blender to puree the soup. If you dont have a had immersion blender simply use a food processor or regular blender to puree the soup in batches.
- Garnish with more honey, paprika, parsley and cayenne if using.