Zucchini Corn Fritters
We have made these several times this summer because they are an absolute crowd pleaser. Once you try them, you can’t stop. They are an ideal appetizer at a get together or serve them as a side dish with some of my Creamy Garlic and Mushroom Pork Chops or my Parmesan Crusted Chicken.
The stand out ingredients are clearly the zucchini and crunchy corn but the corn meal and buttermilk make a world of difference in taste too. If you don’t have those ingredients, try mixing some yogurt with milk for the buttermilk. For the cornmeal, you can sub in more regular all purpose flour.
Sauteing the onion, garlic and corn in a little butter, really brings out their flavors so please do not skip the step. The next step is just mixing up the batter and frying the fritters in a little oil. Make sure to transfer them to a paper towel lined platter once done cooking.
You can serve these with a dip of Greek yogurt mixed with some fresh dill and fresh chives for the perfect accompaniment. I personally eat them as is and am extremely satisfied.
Thank you for swinging by HungryHappens! If you create this dish or any other on our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Zucchini Corn Fritters
- 2 medium zucchini, coarsely shredded
- 1 tbs butter
- 1/2 onion, fine chop
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 3 ears corn kernels shaved off (or 2 cups frozen)
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1 egg
- vegetable oil for frying
- Place the zucchini shreds in a thin kitchen towel and squeeze them dry (work in two batches).
- Melt the butter in a large skillet on medium heat and then saute the onion for two minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds. Add the corn kernels and cook for about 4 minutes, stirring occasionally, until crisp tender. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking soda, 3/4 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp black pepper.
- In a separate, large bowl, beat the egg and then whisk with the buttermilk. Mix into that the corn mixture and zucchini shreds. Now add the flour mixture into the large bowl and stir until just combined.
- Wipe down your skillet. Pour in about 1/8 inch vegetable oil and place over medium high heat. When hot, add 1/4 cupfuls of the batter to the pan and use the back of the measuring cup to flatten them out. Cook them for 4 minutes per side. Lower heat to medium or medium low if browning too quickly. Transfer to paper towel lined dish when done and start on your second batch. Sprinkle with additional salt on top if desired.
Yes mam this will be a must have in our house
Hi Matt, I’m so glad!! ENjoy this summer!
What is the serving size?
One fritter is a serving here.
Tried this recipe tonight for the first time…so, so good! I will definitely be making these again!!
Hi Gina! Thanks so much for trying out the fritters and I am glad they were a hit!
my son has Celiac. how do you think these would turn out if I replaced flour with chickpea flour?
Hi Alisa, I think it would work but the taste might be affected.
Loved this.. can’t stop eating them
YESSSS, they are totally addicting!
I am curious if cream corn would work as a replacement for the buttermilk?
Hi Michelle, I have not tried that so I cannot say if it would work…
Best zucchini recipe ever
Hi Michaela! Thanks for the kind feedback!
Can you bake in the oven ?
Hi Jayne, YES definitely!