Not even gonna lie, these are spectacular for vegetables. They really are super crispy and feel like you’re getting a treat. I would definitely serve these as an appetizer, as well as a side dish.
On the never ending search to change up the usual repertoire of vegetable prep, these types of dishes are born. And I’m so glad I discovered these. The asparagus shape is spot on for french fries. Why had I never done these before?
The beauty of these is that you probably have all of the ingredients sitting in your kitchen. You can also substitute in one ingredient for another, if you don’t it or if you have dietary restrictions. Add more almond flour and parmesan if you want to make these gluten free. You can also sub in corn starch or tapioca starch for the flour. If you want to make these dairy free, just leave out the parmesan cheese and add in more panko and almond flour.
As far as dips go, I prepped some ranch and got the good ole ketchup out for the photo. Let me tell you, the ketchup was the true match here. Don’t stress the dip on these. So simple and you can even air fry them.
Crunchy Asparagus Fries
- 1 lb asparagus
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- garlic + onion powders to taste
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/2 cup flour*
- Preheat your oven to 375°F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Trim the end of your asparagus and then cut them in half.
- In a shallow bowl, add the breadcrumbs, almond flour and parmesan cheese and parsley flakes. Season mixture with garlic, onion powders, salt and pepper to taste and whisk to combine. In a separate shallow bowl, house the two beaten eggs. In a third separate dish, house the flour.
- Coat the asparagus pieces in first, the flour, then the eggs and lastly the panko mixture. Place on the baking sheet and lightly spray with olive oil. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.