This is a recipe my grandmother would whip up for us on the weekends. You can cook the zucchini and onion in a pan or roast them like I did in the oven. Either way, we loved her for the warm company and delicious food she always made us. She was an angel before she became an angel.
Another fresh ingredients only recipe that really is simple to throw together. You can use a mandolin to slice the zucchini rounds or your knife; not too thick and not too thin. Keep in mind they will bake with the eggs and cheeses too! You can make this meal gluten free by subbing in almond flour in place of the breadcrumbs, which is great! You can use any shredded cheese you have.
Thank you for swinging by HungryHappens! If you decide to make this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate it. LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Easy Zucchini Feta Pie
- 3 large zucchini, sliced
- 1 medium red onion, diced
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 oz feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs (or almond flour)
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- Preheat your oven to 400° F. Line a large baking dish with parchment paper. Toss your vegetables on the baking sheet with the oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper to taste to coat all. Spread them out evenly (doesn't matter if they over lap) and roast for 20-22 minutes. Remove the pan from your oven and lower the heat to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, mix together your eggs, feta, parmesan, breadcrumbs, thyme and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in the zucchini GENTLY to coat. Transfer half of this mixture to a pie dish. Sprinkle evenly with the mozzarella and then top with the remaining zucchini batter. Top with another sprinkle of grated parmesan and bake for 50 minutes or until golden brown on top.