This cabbage bake is my hands down favorite way to eat cabbage. Its crunchy panko topping is so satisfying to slice into and bite into. The shallot and garlic give it that almost bacony flavor. Trust me, you need to try it!
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Crunchy Cheesy Cabbage Bake
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1 large shallot, sliced thin
- 4 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small head cabbage, sliced thin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- 1½ cups panko
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- Heat your oil in a large deep skillet. Add in the shallot and lower the heat. Saute until for a few minutes. Stir in the garlic for 30 seconds then add in the cabbage on medium heat. Season with salt and pepper to taste and stir to coat. If the cabbage looks dry, add in another drizzle of olive oil. Cook until they soften, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Remove the cabbage to a large bowl and allow it to cool off slightly.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Spray an 8×8 inch square baking dish with olive oil.
- In a small bowl, mix up your panko, olive oil, onion powder, paprika and salt to taste.
- Add the dill, flour, pecorino, eggs, mozzarella, milk, chili flakes, salt and pepper to taste to your cabbage mixture. Mix until incorporated. Transfer to baking dish and spread out evenly pressing down gently. Sprinkle evenly with the panko and bake for about 25-30 minutes or until top is golden brown. You can broil at the end if you need to, to get the golden brown crust.