My favorite vegetable by far is the eggplant. It’s not always the most versatile though. It’s nothing like the zucchini or the cauliflower. That’s why we have to be creative.
If you want to salt your eggplant pieces, you can, to remove the bitterness. However, whenever I saute them I find it unnecessary. And this recipe is super quick to prep and cook – win win.
Another great option with this is to leave out the cheese and make it vegan/dairy free. I mean, it’s definitely better with the cheese but for certain people with diet restrictions, this is still delicious without the cheese.
For me, nothing compares to a recipe with all fresh ingredients. My body feels so great after consuming. This goes amazing with some rice or pasta.
Italian Skillet Eggplant
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 medium eggplants, stemmed + cubed
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, diced
- 1/3 cup gruyere cheese, shredded
- fresh basil for garnish
- Heat the oil in a large deep skillet over medium high. Add the onion and cook until translucent – a few minutes. Then add the garlic and stir until fragrant – about 30 seconds. Add the eggplant and cook for 10 minutes or until tender. Adjust olive oil if more is needed – but don't overdue it. Stir occasionally. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Next add the tomato, a little more salt and pepper, and toss for a few more minutes until warmed and slightly wilted. Sprinkle with your cheese and cover pan until it's melted. Serve with fresh basil.