Easy Low Carb Eggplant Lasagna
If you love eggplant, you will LOVE this simple no pasta lasagna.
I am a huge fan of lasagna and since my Easy Zucchini Mini Lasagna went viral, I received so many requests to create an eggplant version. Since most eggplants are not thin and long like zucchini, and instead bulbous, I decided to make a regular sized version.
This was beyond simple to through together and I really loved the flavor of the meat sauce, the cheesiness all together with the eggplant. Definitely make sure you sweat out your eggplant slices for twenty minutes to remove the excess liquids and that sometimes occurring bitter taste.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Low Carb Easy Eggplant Lasagna
- 2 medium eggplants
- 4 tbs olive oil (divided)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1/2 tsp each chili powder, dried oregano, paprika
- 24 oz marinara sauce jar
- 1/4 cup grated pecorino cheese
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Garnish: fresh basil + chili pepper flakes
- Slice your eggplant 1/2 inch thick lengthwise. Lay the slices on a flat surface with no over lapping. Sprinkle with salt and wait 15 minutes. Pat and wipe dry with paper towels.
- Preheat your oven to 400°F. Spray a 9×13" baking dish with olive oil.
- In a large skillet, working in 3 batches, heat 1 tbs olive oil per batch and grill the slices, a few minutes per side. Season each side of the eggplants as you go.
- IN the same skillet, heat 1 tbs olive oil and saute your shallot for 1-2 minutes and then stir in the garlic for 30 seconds. Add in the ground meat and use a wooden spoon to break apart the meat until no longer pink. Season with chili powder, dried oregano, paprika, salt and pepper to taste. Pour in the sauce and mix to combine. Taste and adjust any seasonings if needed.
- Mix your breadcrumbs and pecorino in a small bowl. Sprinkle the bottom of the baking dish with a few tablespoons. Set down one layer of eggplant slices. Add on them HALF the sauce and spread out evenly. Sprinkle with one third of the cheese. Repeat again with the eggplant slices, then the rest of the sauce, and some cheese on that. Top layer is one more eggplant and then final is the cheese. Top with the remaining of the breadcrumb-pecorino mixture. Bake COVERED for 35 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 5-10 minutes or until top is golden brown. Allow to cool slightly prior to slicing.
Calories: 383kcal | Carbohydrates: 20g | Protein: 31g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 0.01g | Cholesterol: 75mg | Sodium: 897mg | Potassium: 968mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 815IU | Vitamin C: 12mg | Calcium: 276mg | Iron: 3mg
Hello Stella, another interesting and yummy looking lasagna recipe. I do love eggplant 🍆 and definitely goin to make this very soon I got most of the ingredients.
Quick question tho can I use mince beef or chicken instead?
Thanks again 😘❤️❤️
Hi Rose! YES you can use any mince meat here definitely! ENjoy and thank you for the kind comment!
This was so awesome! Thank you for this yummy recipe!! I Have to make it again soon 😋💕
Hi Ulla, glad you liked the eggplant lasagna!! Thanks so much for the rating!