Make sure you leave the core intact when slicing through the cabbage head. Also do not slice your cabbage pieces too thin or they will fall apart. Lastly, don’t feel shy when seasoning the meat and the cabbage slices. Give those pieces some color!
This recipe is super simple to make for your vegetarian days or for the ground meat you don’t know what to make with. We really enjoyed the flavor of this dish both ways!
The perfect alternative to traditional tacos and bonus you get extra veggies in the meal. These Taco Style Cabbage Steaks were born from my other viral Cheesy Cabbage Steaks Recipe that was so well received.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens!! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!!
Loaded Taco Cabbage Steaks
- 1 green cabbage
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- taco seasoning: chili powder, onion, powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin + dried oregano
Ground Meat Option:
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 lb ground turkey (or any ground meat you prefer)
- chili powder, onion, powder, garlic powder, paprika, cumin + dried oregano
- salt to taste
- 14 oz black beans (rinsed + dried)
- 4 oz shredded mexi blend cheese
- 1 large avocado, diced
- 8 oz cherry tomatoes, sliced
- 3 tbs cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 large lime, juiced + zested
- 1 tsp honey
- milk for thinning
- Preheat your oven to 425℉. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Keep your cabbage core INTACT, slice your cabbage in half first then into thick slices – ending up with 6-7 slices. Place them on your baking tray and brush both sides of each slice with olive oil. Season with salt to taste and sprinkle with the seasonings listed to taste. Don't be shy – give it some color! Roast in your oven for 30-35 minutes or until golden.
Ground Meat Topping:
- In a large skillet, heat your oil and then saute your onion for 2 minutes. Add in the ground meat and using a wooden spoon break everything up until no longer pink and cooked through. Season with salt, and all the seasonings listed, generously. Again, give the meat some color. Use this to top the roasted cabbage slices and top with the cheese and pop back into the oven until melted – about 5 minutes.
- If you're using the beans, simply top the cooked cabbage steaks equally with some beans, covering the cabbage and then top with the shredded cheese. Pop back into the oven until the cheese has melted – 5 minutes. Remove from oven and top with tomatoes, avocado and cilantro!
- Whisk together the ingredients and use milk to thin out the sauce to your desired consistency. Mine took about 3 tbs to thin out. You can leave out the milk too.