This was my mom’s and grandmother’s go-to salad growing up. I actually (this is hard for me to say) was not a fan of it as a child. I think it’s because as a child I was adverse to herbs or anything that was outside of my usual flavor palate. I now realize as an adult, they must have really loved it, since I do too now.
The ingredients are so simple and fresh here and yet the flavor is one hundred on delivery. The feta, dill and lemon really stand out and will make this a staple in your rotation.
One major aspect of this salad is the thin chop of the romaine lettuce. It defines the salad, so please do not rough chop it if you want to keep it authentic and get the dressing in everywhere. My mom and yiayia also taught me to massage the chopped lettuce with my hands. It softens the fibers and makes the salad easier to chew and digest. This is actually quite therapeutic and enjoyable.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe! LOVE YOUR LIFE!
- 2 hearts romaine lettuce
- 4-5 scallions, diced
- 1 bunch fresh dill, chopped
- 1/2 block feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Rinse your lettuce clean then THINLY SLICE. Dry well in your salad spinner.
- Whisk together the oil, lemon juice and salt until smooth and thick.
- Place the first 4 ingredients in a large bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad. Toss all together and massage/scrunch the greens with your hands to infuse with the rest of the ingredients and break down its rough characteristics.