The lemon rice and juicy chicken spiced just right is IT for me. Use bone in chicken for the juiciest of meat and make certain you season those thighs WELL. These are the flavors of the motherland. I could eat this dish every week.
Definitely use fresh lemons for the juice. I prefer basmati or jasmine rice for this dish but you can use brown. Your cook time, and thus liquid amounts, will probably be effected though. Increase both.
The fresh garlic is also a key player in this dish. Use more or less depending on your preference.
One Pan Lemon Chicken + Rice
- 4 chicken thighs, skin on + bone in
- paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, dried oregano, salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup basmati rice, rinsed
- 2¼ cups low sodium chicken broth
- 2 lemons, juiced
- fresh oregano, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350° F.
- Season your chicken thighs generously with all of the seasonings, both sides.
- Heat a large, deep, oven-safe skillet on medium high. Add the chicken, skin side down and sear for about 4 minutes (until browned). Flip them over and cook for an additional 3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Use a paper towel and tongs to 'drink up' some of the fat off the pan (or just leave it). Add the olive oil and sauté your onion for 2 minutes (or until translucent). Add the garlic and stir for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the rice for 1 minute. Pour in the broth and lemon juice and season with salt and pepper to taste. Add the chicken back in to the pan, cover the with aluminum foil and bake for 35-40 minutes. Internal temperature of chicken should read 165°F.
- Garnish with oregano and extra lemon wedges.