When I was a teenager, THIS was THE chicken dish I always ordered at Italian restaurants. Of course, it’s a favorite in my house today due to its ease of preparation and yumminess.
It’s simple to make and delivers on all the flavor. Between the color of those gorgeous cutlets and the sweet and tangy sauce… incredible. The mushrooms are a MUST. They offer up an extra ‘meatiness’ to each bite. Make sure you pair it with something to scoop up all that sauce. I recommend some mashed potatoes or cheesy pasta.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you create this dish or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to comment and rate the recipe. LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Chicken Marsala Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup flour
- salt + pepper to taste
- 1 tbs olive oil
- 3 tbs butter, divided
- 10 oz. Baby Bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Marsala wine
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- fresh parsley, chopped for garnish
- Cutlets should be 1/4 inch thick, so you might have to pound them with a mallet if they're too thick. Combine the flour, salt + pepper to taste in a large ziploc bag. Toss the cutlets in and shake the bag to coat them in the flour.
- Heat the oil and 2 tbs butter in a large deep skillet. When melted, add the chicken cutlets to the pan and cook on medium for 3 minutes per side – chicken should be golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Melt the remaining 1 tbs butter in the pan and add the mushrooms. Saute them for 2-3 minutes until they soften. Next add the shallot, garlic and season with salt to taste. Cook for a minute or two.
- Add the broth, Marsala wine, heavy cream and thyme and bring to a boil. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook your sauce for 10 to 15 minutes until it thickens and browns in color, stirring occasionally.
- Add the chicken back to the pan and begin to cover them with the sauce. Heat for a few more minutes and then serve with some fresh parsley.