The best recipes are the ones that are versatile, simple and flavorful. This mediterranean ‘salsa’ style topping can be used with any type of seafood. Perfect on salmon, halibut, octopus, scallops, shrimp etc.
One key tip is to make this topping and let it marinate in its juices for at least 30 minutes to an hour. Make sure you use a red bell pepper or those mini sweet peppers and definitely finely chop them. Also, thinly slice your red onions. Everything must be present but practically invisible, if you know what I mean.
Swordfish is very quick to cook. If you pan-roast, like I did, it will take you about 3-4 minutes on the cook top to sear one side. Then flip them all over and immediately slide your oven safe pan into the oven to roast for another 5 minutes. Do not over cook these fillets, they will become rubbery. Take them out and transfer them to your platter and let them rest for 5 minutes prior to serving.
The best sides to serve this with would be some rice and a green. Keeping it healthy when I can, I made mine with some broccoli rabe. You can sauté that with some garlic, olive oil and butter for peak performance.
Easy Mediterranean Swordfish
- 1 red bell pepper, fine chop
- 1/2 medium red onion, thin slice
- 1/4 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small lemon, juiced
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs capers, smashed
- salt + pepper to taste
- 2 tbs olive oil
- salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder + dried oregano to taste
- 2 lbs swordfish (4 fillets)
- Combine all the ingredients in a medium bowl. Taste and adjust seasonings and oil to your preference. Set aside. (I like to make this at least 1 hour ahead so all the juices and flavors meld together).
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Rinse and pat dry your fish. Season your fish on both sides with the seasonings listed above.
- Heat the olive oil on medium high, in an oven safe and non stick pan. When it's hot add the fish to the pan. Let them sear, do not disturb for at least 3-4 minutes.
- Flip them over and immediately transfer the pan to your preheated oven. Roast in the oven for 5-6 minutes. Internal temperature of fish should read between 130°F and 135°F. Do not over cook.
- Remove the fish from the pan and place on a platter to rest for 5 minutes.
- Top with your 'salsa' and enjoy.