Eggplant Rolls with Mozzarella and Prosciutto (Low Carb)
My favorite Mediterranean appetizer or main entree are these easy to make roll ups. We all know how well prosciutto and cheese are a marriage made in heaven. Now lets roll them in some grilled eggplant and you have the perfect menage trio.
This is a very short list of ingredients which are always the best recipes. I love cooking with eggplant. Its a beautifully fresh and nutrient dense vegetable. Okay, I know, we are wrapping meat and cheese with it, but that’s the beauty of this recipe; the pairing of the healthy with the indulgent.
The cheese can be mozzarella or fontina or Kaseri (Greek cheese similar to mozzarella). I had mozzarella and fontina and used both. The mozzarella is better suited here (in my opinion).
There are 2 main cooking steps in the recipe. The first is the grilling or sautéing of the eggplant slices in your pan. This is a quick process. Make sure there is adequate olive oil the in the pan to get them some yellow color but you don’t want them soaked in oil. Remember: you can always add more but you can’t remove. So go conservative and add more if necessary. Also make sure both sides have seasonings.
The second part is the rolling of the ingredients. The BEST part. Don’t forget to spray your pan with a little olive oil and coat the bottom with the breadcrumbs and pecorino. Do the same with the tops of the rolls too. It’s what gives them that crunchy appearance. I had to broil mine at the end to give them more of a golden brown look.
Thank you for swinging by Hungry Happens! If you make this recipe or any other from our site, we would greatly appreciate you taking the time to rate and comment on it. LOVE YOUR LIFE!
Eggplant Prosciutto Mozzarella Roll Ups
- 2 medium eggplants
- 4 tbs olive oil (divided)
- salt, pepper and onion powder to taste
- 20 slices prosciutto
- 16 oz mozzarella, sliced into 1/4" square logs
- 1/3 cup panko (or almond flour)
- 1/3 cup pecorino cheese, grated
- olive oil spray
- chili pepper flakes + fresh basil for garnish
- Slice your eggplant lengthwise into slices with 1/2 inch thickness. You don't want them too thin or too thick. Keep in mind they shrink while cooking.
- In a large pan, heat 1 tbs olive oil over medium high and add in as many slices of eggplant as can fit. Season with salt, pepper and onion powder to taste. Cook for 3 minutes and then flip them over. Season again. You may need to add more olive oil if the slices are too dry. Don't over do the oil though – you don't want them soaked in oil – just want to give them that yellow color. Remove cooked slices to a platter and repeat with the process with the rest of the eggplant.
- Preheat your oven to 350° F. Spray a 9×13" baking dish with olive oil, sprinkle with panko and pecorino.
- On a flat surface top each eggplant with prosciutto and then place the mozzarella stick on the narrow side of the eggplant. Roll toward the wider side and place the roll in the dish, seam side down. Repeat. Sprinkle top of the rolls with panko, pecorino and spray with olive oil. Bake for 25 minutes then broil for 5 minutes to get that golden brown color.
Just amazing you are so awesome thank you from Scottsdale,AZ.
Hello James from Scottsdale! Glad you enjoyed these rolls! They truly are so yummy…
EXCELLENT recipe!!!! My family and I devoured these wonderful rolls of goodness with some marinara sauce for dipping!
Just did these amazing eggplant rolls for dinner and had to Thank you for sharing it and spending time releasing so many tasteful recipes 🏼 Xx from Portugal ♥️
Hello Carla, glad you liked the dish! Thank you for the kind rating!
Did you use a mandolin to slice the eggplant? What is the ideal tool in your opinion?
Hi Angelina, I sliced the eggplant with a knife in this recipe.