If your into feta cheese like I am, this dip is all kinds of wonderful. This is on ALL tables in Greek restaurants and homes. It’s the ideal salty appetizer to have with some wine or beer. You can also make this as a snack to munch on your veggies with. I take any leftovers, refrigerate and spread it on my chicken sandwich the next day.
The ingredients here are super straight forward and simple. The feta cheese is salty and creamy and will lend those properties to the dip. For the fire roasted red peppers, you can make those easily in your toaster oven with some olive oil drizzle, salt and pepper. Or, you can be lazy like me, and buy a jar at the super market. Make sure to drain any and all liquid from them.
The olive oil and red wine vinegar are going to bring some smoothness and tang to the dish. And the garlic is going to add some flavor. If you want your dip to be spicy hot, add more chili pepper flakes. And if that’s not hot enough for you, sub out one red bell pepper for a serrano or jalapeño.
I love to top this creaminess with some kalamata olives, fresh chopped dill, a drizzle of olive oil and extra flakes for aesthetic. You can serve with celery and carrot sticks and don’t forget the sliced and toasted pita bread. That’s the best part.
Spicy Feta Dip (Tirokafteri)
- 10 oz feta cheese
- 2 small roasted red bell peppers
- 2 tbs olive oil
- 1 tbs red wine vinegar
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes
- Your bell peppers can be from a jar or roasted in your oven with some olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Pulse everything in your food processor until smooth and whipped.
- Serve with some carrot sticks, celery sticks and toasted and sliced pita bread.
- Reserve leftovers to spread on your chicken sandwich the next day.